Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAP EDI Package Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

khood

Programmer
Aug 27, 2000
US
Just wanted to verify my findings with those of you that have implemented EDI with SAP. It appears that ALL certified EDI packages supply the same amount of integration with SAP. From what I can tell, you gain little by having the EDI package on the same server, or even the same platform, since the IDOCS are sent to and from the operating system level (Unix in this case). The EDI package provides the translation to/from EDI standard to IDOCs, as well as message status.

Here is why I am asking -- we are implementing SAP on a Unix server. We already have a large investment in an AS/400-based EDI translator - Harbinger's Trusted-Link. We are already successfully sending some translated EDI data to SAP from the AS/400. What would be gained by insisting that the EDI translator reside on the same server as SAP?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back