Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SANS seminar -- worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2000
US
Hello --

A few articles I've read recently have mentioned the SANS institute. I'm interested in taking their seminar on "SANS security essentials".

Has anyone taken this seminar, received GIAC certification, or even heard about this org? It's an expensive course (for my budget) so I wouldn't mind hearing some feedback on it.

Cheers,
Susan

I get their e-mail newletter. I don't know how good their seminars are.
Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Susan,

I've just started taking the Security Essentials online course - and I think it is very worthwhile. The technical detail is excellent and the course gives a very good grounding in all aspects of security.

Believe me these people know what they are talking about !!

Not sure about the seminars but they do have a very good reputation. I'd definately go but would need to add the airfare on and try and persuade my wife to let me go :-(.

Check out the projects that people have completed as part of the GIAC courses - they're very impressive.

Susan, you can also buy the course materials at the SANS bookstore. This is even much cheaper than the online course option. I understand these "books" are actually screenshots of the powerpoint presentations used at the conferences. Can anyone advise if it is worthwhile buying them without actually attending the conference?

--Gary

Pickup "Intrusion Analysis and Signatures" from sans_giac,
read through it, run snort on an internet connected box with the latest definitions from ARACHnids and write a few
definitions of your own.
Hack your private network at home.

Save yourself some money.
My.02 cents.

Has anyone used the course books vs the online training. I am wondering how much you lose from not using the online training.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back