Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAN to SAN migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyccIT

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2009
US
We just purchased a Equallogic PS5000x SAN. I currently have 2 LUN's on a ax150i and am planning to migrate the existing VM's to the new SAN. The 2 ESX hosts that we have are using 2 shared disk pools on the existing ax150i.

Would it be better to create 1 large volume on the new array, or set up the same configuration by creating 2 volumes?

My main concern is that we virtualized our Exchange 07 box and I want to ensure the best performance for that machine.

Post this thread in the Exchange 2007 since that is the main concern. It will get better response there. Label it Exchange 2007 and VM...suggestion only :)

I would assume it would depend on what else would be running on the arrays, if you're going to be running multiple SQL clusters as well as the Exchange environment then you would probably be better off splitting the spindles but if you're not then you should be ok with one large array. I would add that if you're using FC SAS drives rather than SATA drives you probably wouldn't notice too much of an impact anyway.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back