Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAN thorughput

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandyboy

Technical User
Oct 16, 2005
IN
Hi Guys

Iam using the following configuration
San environment:
1. File and Print server
2. Two Exchange servers in cluster (Active and Passive)
3. Backup server
4. Dell Power vault Tape Library 132 T
SAN switch McData 4400 (Sphereon) (This is there in the compatibility matrix) to which 5 devices connected ( Shared Storage on which the Exchange database exist, SAN switch -2,Exchange server - 2 on cluster one Passive and One active, File and Print Server, Backup server)
HBA Card : QLogic Firmware

Backups and restore have No problems but just the throughput is toooooooo low as i get around 500 MB on exchange databases ...if i remove the exchange server from SAN , and backup locally to the drive , i get good throughput of around 1.5 gb ...whats wrong in this ...

Any ideas and any settings which can be checked and can be implemented to increase the performance

thanks in advance

I am trying to decipher this message and it seems like you are having issues with backup.

Is this 500MB and 1.5GB/minute?

Hi

Iam getting 500mb/min when i backup locally through SAN
and 1.5gb /min over the LAN

thanks

What is the HBA model and what driver version are you using?

What is the model of the SCSI adapter to which you were using to test local backup?

What are the model tape drives you are using?

How are the drives connected to the SAN and Local connections?

Hba : qlogic and iam using SCSI Miniport dated 9.0.1.11
IBM ULTRIUM III TAPE DRIVE ,
Dell PowerVault 132T Tape

Every server has 2 HBA and connected to the 2 differnt switches and and going to the storage

We have used 02 nos McData 4400 SAN Switch in this configuration,it offers 8 port (LC Connectors) fibre channel switched fabric designed with redundency for all active components, each port give upto 2 Gigabit/sec througput

everything is under one zone .
As i said backups and restore have no problem but just the
throughput iam getting same on LAN and SAN

Thanks

Hi Comtec ,

Do you have any suggestions which we can implement to achive better thorughput in the SAN

thanks for the advice

Sandy

Hello

Questions:

1. Are all fabric devices in 1 zone?
2. Does the backup server use its HBA's to send both disk and tape traffic?

Cheers

Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back