Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAN Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky369

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2007
CA
We are currently looking to get a SAN for our network and we are looking at a box from StoneFly it is an ISC-1620, has anyone used Stonefly and if so how does it work for you.

I never worked with Stonefly before, but what I can see is, that only sata drives are supported,and very large disks ( 500- 1TB disks,that are only 7200 rpm),so I have my doubts about performance...
For applications that need response time ( databases and so) you surely will need fiberchannel disks.
Another issue will be rebuild times in case of disk failure...

rgds,

R.

That is very true, has anyone worked with Datacore, what are your thoughts? As well what about Microsofts Storage server with iscsi target?

What you need to keep in mind when going for a SAN,is ease of management,possibility to add storage without downtime,redundant components,data protection and performance.In the end, your performance of your datacore or storage server will depend upon the underlying hardware.All depends what you want,just a big pool of centralized space, or if you truely need performance.if datacore or storage server would be that great,storage hardware vendors would be out of business within a year :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back