Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAN performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterve

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2000
NL
Hi,

This question may be quite generic for this forum, but I guess the forum is filled with experts, so here it goes :

I'm building a project plan to implement a SAN in our environment. I'm struggling with some theoretical exercises such as determining the performance between clients and the disks in the SAN array. In fact, there are a couple of components that are not very clear to me
Suppose I want to use a iSCSI bases SAN, using Gigabit Ethernet. What would be the effective performance between the server that is hosting the SAN volumes and the SAN disks themselves ?
What are my options to make the SAN performing well compared to servers with built-in disks ?
Etherchannel/Bundling multiple ethernet connections? more controllers ? .... what else ?) Can you tell me what the impact of every extension would be ?

Where can I find an overview of all of the SAN components and their performance ?
(disks, disk array backplane, SAN controller, switches, iSCSI adapters, ethernet vs FC, ...)

thanks

thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back