Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAN OS of any kind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2002
CA
I am looking at migrating my data over to a new SAN in the near future. Right now we're looking at EqualLogic stuff. On top of that we're thinking about the old storage units we'll have left on hand. It would be a huge waste to drop them as it's 1.4TB x2 units. These units are direct attached SCSI to the servers right now.

Is there any OS/Distro that we could look at to use these units as a SAN. More or less an iSCSI converter I guess! If not I know I can turn them into a NAS but I'd prefer block access to use these for multiple machines.

I would leave the disks in the servers and make a NAS out of them.
I would probably end up installing linux but it will depend on the availablity of drivers for the RAID controllers...
G.

for iscsi , you can use nearly any distri you want, redhat ent or centos,suse are really good choices.Just make a trunk of you network interfaces, enable jumbro frames, use the iscsi software initiator of your host.Most of the distro's use the cisco initiator who's really good and reliable.

rgds,

R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back