Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAN Option sharing tape library not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRS56

MIS
Feb 15, 2007
US
Running Arcserve 11.5 SP2 Build 4235. The primary server is a two node cluster and the distributed server is also a two node cluster. All servers are using the same hardware and driver versions. The servers are connected to the fibre fabric that includes Disk and Tape. All servers can see the devices on the fabric. The basic hardware breakdown is:
Dell PE2850 running W2K3 Enterprise Server
Two Qlogic 2340 HBA running StorPort mini drivers
ADIC Scalar i2000 tape library with three IBM Ultrium-TD3 drives
McData 4700 fibre switches
The disk portion is a EMC Clariion SAN CX700
The Primary server is working fine if the Distributed server tape engine is not running. When the Distributed server tape engine is started it picks up the device configuration just fine from the primary. However when any tape access is done (format a tape) it puts out an error that the tape can not be found and if the Primary server is running a backup job it causes a tape error and aborts the job.
Currently have a case open with CA but is taking a while. I am also doing my own research.
I have been able to get the distributed server to somewhat work in the past before the HBA drivers were updated for the EMC SAN. I think the main change was SCSI port to StorPort.
Keith

Only the two ARCserve servers should be zoned to see the tape library.

The latest HBA drive should be used.
The latest storport.sys from Microsoft should be used, and this is very important.

Storport will fail to return the device serial # when the device is disabled, and with ARCserve since it does not use the OS tape device driver having it enabled will almost always cause a problem.

I have usually had to make a registry hack for IBM the tape drive drivers. Only thing is the Dell version of the driver does not work.

Here is the location of the IBM drivers.
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/devdrvr/Windows/

When installing choose the Tivoli version and just say yes to any questions. It will install three different drivers for the tape drive. Make this registry hack for all.
KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\IBMxxx
Highlight the key select “Edit Add Value”, the Value Name is DisableReserveUponOpen, Type is REG_DWORD Data is 1
1 = enable, 0 = disable
This is to prevent conflicts with the driver and the Tape Engine.

Of course if the legacy SCSI Mini port version of the HBA driver is used then the tape drives can be disabled and all works just fine.

Which two Arcserve servers should be zoned with the tape library?
My plan (with the SAN Option) is to have multiple servers share the tape library.
I also came across a registry entry for the TapeEngine key under Config "EnableSharedDevices". I read that this is used for fibre devices. Have you heard of usage for this one?

All ARCserve servers should be zoned to see the tape library and no other systems should.

yes, used for shared devices as in SANs but SAN config utility should take care of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back