Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAN Newbie - Need a couple of questions answered

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsp1965

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2003
CA
Folks, I haven't had much experience with SAN storage, but I have a couple of rudimentary questions if you don't mind answering

1. I have installed a Qlogic QL2342 card on a Sun x4200 AMD Opteron server. Now we have storage guys who are configuring the LUNs, what I would like to know is it just of matter of going to the bios for the adapter and have it scan for devices, or do I need to use the Sansurfer util

2. I have noticed on other servers that have been setup for SAN storage having dozens of instances of disk devices listed in Windows device manager (this particular one had at least 50). Short of disabling the found new hardware wizard is there any way to mass add the driver to all those devices. It seems ridiculous to have to install the driver for each device

Thanks

Regards

Terry

1. The easiest way to configure this HBA would be through the SANSurfer software.

2. You should not need to add a driver for the disk if you are using Windows 2000 or 2003.

Thanks, that's what I thought, the only problem is now how to disable the Found new hardware wizard for these devices without disabling the devices themselves. It will always appear I am afraid. Oh well thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back