Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAN newbie confused mapping targets with iSCSI initiator software

Status
Not open for further replies.

somedea

MIS
Jul 13, 2004
US
Trying to set up a new iSCSI IBM DS3300. I think I have the cabling correct, but I'm getting confused about which IP to pick when I start to map the hosts to the LUNs. I am (obviously) new to this.
Here's the picture:
SAN has 2 mgmt ports, 2 controllers on each port. I have an HBA controller card in the management server and I'm trying to connect a test server to the drive I created on the array to test before I move some critical data onto the SAN.
So:
Set IP for QLogic NIC on Mgmt Server to 10.10.2.20
Set IP for Management (Ethernet) Controller A to 10.10.2.21
Set IP for Management (Ethernet) Controller B to 10.10.2.22

Set IP for ISCI Controller A Port 1 to 10.10.4.101
Set IP for ISCI Controller B Port 1 to 10.10.4.102

Set IP for ISCI Controller A Port 2 to 10.10.5.101
Set IP for ISCI Controller B Port 2 to 10.10.5.102
Did the IPs this way because IBM suggests different subnets done in this manner.

Connected HBA card on mgmt server to unmanaged switch. Connected SAN mgmt ports and iSCSI controllers to the same switch.
Conigured array with RAID, etc., and created one 300 GB LUN.
Installed iSCI initiator software on test server (with multipath software) and confiured it to connect to IP 10.10.4.101, logged on, etc.
When I go into disk management on the test server, it sees a new drive, but only sees 20 MB. Have I picked the wrong IP? Or is there another step I'm missing with the SAN management software? Do I need to setup the host there as well?
Thanks for any help, including pointers to learning tools. I do have the IBM red book for this SAN, and I'm slogging through it, but it can be confusing about which host is which, if you know what I mean, and I'm really unsure as to whether I should be connecting the host targets to the SAN mgmt IP addresses, or the iSCSI controller port IP addresses.

How the iscsi / fc concept works ( in general ):
You create a lun on your storage you are going to share
You create an igroup on your storage
Within this igroup, you place the IP adresses of the hosts you want to map
you then link the igroup to the lun you want to export.
My guess is that the wrong lun is linked to this particular igroup, or that the hosts have been placed into the wrong igroup.I everything is mapped correctly, you will see the correct size.

rgds,

R.

NetApp Certified NCDA/NCIE-SAN

Thanks, R. I had created the host group and added the test server to the group, and as you said, linked the host to the lun. As far as I can tell, it looks correct. The storage system software shows the test server as linked to lun, so I don't know what else to check.
I shouldn't have to cable the test server's second NIC through the same switch as the SAN, should I?

Got it. I removed the iSCSI initiator settings from the server, redid it all, and rebooted, and it's now seeing 300 GB. Not sure what was wrong, but it's a start for testing.
Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back