Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAN Migration - Blades to Cluster using same SAN with Mirroring

Status
Not open for further replies.

OTorrijos

IS-IT--Management
Sep 1, 2011
IE
Hello,

I have an interesting scenario that I would like some feedback on.

I have a site which has the following:

2 Blade Centres - each connected to a SAN. They are currently in use.
Each SAN is mirrored to the other.
Therefore, one SAN acts as DR to the other.

Proposed Changes

1. To fail one of the Blade Centres and SANs.
2. Wipe that SAN and setup two new servers - connected to that SAN in a clustered environment using iSCSI. The SAN is an IBM DS 4700.
3. Setup Hyper V on the cluster using Windows 2008 Datacenter. Both server will use iSCSI to attach to the SAN.
4. Retrospectively setup the mirroring to the other SAN. Then setup the clustering on it with the SAME setup as the first one.
5. Considering the first SAN / Blade centres will be in use / it will only be possible to build the second SAN after the first

Major Questions

1. Is the proposed solution above possible. First, can SAN mirroring be setup in this way – RETROSPECTIVELY.
2. Can the current SAN mirroring license etc be reused or what do we need to purchase. Suggestions on SAN mirroring.
3. Using a IBM DS4700 SAN, what hardware do we need to purchase from HP / IBM for the job. IE Setup the SAN with iSCSI to connect to HP Servers running W2K8 Datacentre. We have a list but I want to get opinions.
4. Has anyone attempted to do this? What problems have you ran into.

After answering this question – you may feel a bit like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back