Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

San Disk Cruzer Micro reports write error

Status
Not open for further replies.

judgehopkins

Technical User
Mar 23, 2003
US

I have a SanDisk Cruzer that is reporting a write protection error. I need to remove the write protection.

I am using Windows XP.

For some reason, my computer does not have the same choices as either of the two above solutions.

What can I do to get this write protection off the Cruzer. It worked fine until this afternoon.

If you need more info, please let me know.

Thanks.

There are two guaranteed rules of success: First, never tell everything you know.

He's dead, Jim.

This sort of error can occur if the drive is simply dead. I'd try on a different computer to be sure, though, or at least a different OS to see if it reacts differently. For instance, you could download Ubuntu, and run it from CD, then see if it'll read the thumb drive.... though I'd attach the thumb drive to the computer before booting into Ubuntu. I know I've had better success with Linux plug and play when connecting the hardware before boot. However, it seems the newer versions are doing better with plug and play type applications than in the past.

You can download the CD Image of the latest Ubuntu from here:

You can download ImgBurn for burning it (if you don't already have something that'll work) from here:

Everything works fine except that the drive is not write protected.

There are two guaranteed rules of success: First, never tell everything you know.

Honestly, I wouldn't fret too much over a USB flash drive. Most are cheap, made cheap, and they break. It may all else look fine, but if it says write protected when it isn't, then something is amiss.

Go here and get you a good new one:

Those don't support much in the way of security, so if that's what you need find another.. They are just good USB flash drives, performance and longevity-wise.

kjv1611, thank you for your time and interest.

I bought a new drive, as you advised.

It happened to me too, same brand of drive - the files are still there, just write protected. Replacement drive was the solution.

Fred Wagner

Fred, you are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back