Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAN Copy

Status
Not open for further replies.

driddickemc

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2004
US
Anyone have experience with.. Have to copy 3TB from Clariion to Symmetrix DMX 3000..Can anyone suggest anything with SAN Copy..setup documentation etc.

Thanks

Just follow the SANCopy admin guide and you will be fine.

I have this just thought I would get other folks experiences first hand. An admin guide won't give me this.. I'm talking in reference to peformance, speed etc. You know EMC won't talk speed in there admin guides.. that would be too easy.

For example would we need to have the application down when it's copying to the new Symm Luns.. or can we take a snapshot and copy the data from those luns. etc.

You will need to have the application down for the full SANCopy session. I just did a migration of 4 TB's from a DMX to a Clariion and was able to copy 150, 4GB LUNs in 2 hours.

There is no way to create a snapshot and then use the snapshot to copy the luns over to the dmx ?

Thanks

I believe SANCopy is a Clariion product that requires the destination disk be on a Clariion.

I believe SANCopy is a Clariion product that requires the destination disk be on a Clariion.

Basically, yes. But you can copy from source to clariion and from clariion to another one. It is common to use a clariion as temporal storage in order to migrate from another box (HDS, EVA, etc.) to symmetrix. So you copy from external storage to clariion and then to symmetrix. This is ussaly faster than copy data using hosts from source to symmetrix.

Cheers.

The 150 4GB luns was one migration of many. It was given as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back