Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

san based or lan based

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandyboy

Technical User
Oct 16, 2005
IN
Guys,

One more query , if i backup the exchange database from the
virtual node which is a cluster based and is on SAN and is considered as distributed server ,
would these types of backups would be SAN based OR LAN based

thanks

It is possible to do what is called a 'server-less' backup on a SAN. if your backup host and its client are using the same storage area network, then the client's data can be backed up without passing through the hosts involved. i would call this a SAN based backup, although i've not heard it termed that way before.

otherwise it's likely that your data is passing over your LAN while it's being backed up, which is the case for most folks.

to me, where the files reside does not determine the terminology i use to describe it, it's the method that is used to get to the endpoint.

hopefully i have not gone off track, and have answered your question.

Thanks for the reply :)

Here in my environment , i have 5 SERVERS which are backup servers and they are getting backed up locally. Out of 5 servers i have a exchange servers which are clustered and they are also backup servers.

I backup the exchange database from the virtual node which i added as a machine from the active node , so would the data path will be through LAN or SAN

Thanks for the reply

Also any suggestion in getting good throughput over the SAN

if you want to backup over your SAN, then you have a couple of choices:

1) Allow your backup host to 'see' the same LUNs that the exchange host uses. you will also need some sort of software mechanism that gives you the ability to run the backup in this manner. Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has a module for serverless backup for instance. the other enterprise backup solutions out there probably do too.

2) enable IP over your SAN and use that interface as you would your LAN. this would lighten the load on your LAN by moving the backups to a seperate network (SAN), but not on the servers. a more simple and low cost solution.

you said 'backed up locally', do you mean with a tape drive attached to each host?

Thanks for the reply !

Yes, Tape drive attached to the each host gives the same throughput as when connected to the SAN

Backups have many areas to consider for performance. The very first question to ask is; "What is the slowest part of my system?"

Things that make backups slow are;
Small files <32k
Operating System
File System Fragmentation
Is Anti-virus scanning real time while backup is going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back