Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

San backup strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

gozar

IS-IT--Management
Feb 16, 2004
US
Ok - We have a new san in with 2 hardware groups. One is fata and one is fscsi. My bosses' intentions are for me to use snapcloning to replicate the fscsi vdisks to the fata and do my backup from that. I managed to figure out the replication software ( this is a hp san ,command view eva 6000 software and RSM replication software ) - my scheduled job successfully dismounts and unpresents the fata volume from my backup server, it converts the volume into a container and then snapclones the fscsi volume into the container and represents it to my backup server. So to my backup server I am doing a local backup - the volume letter and name remain the same. My problem - since I am never actually backing up production data - how do I reset the archive bit? I know I could create a bat file to use the attrib command to do it but that seems like a lot of extra effort. The snapclone is created everynight and represented to my backup server.

Veritas suggested adv backup to disk option. Anyone have any ideas? None of us here have any san training and the sole reason they got the fata disks was for snap cloning.

Thanks

I would suggest contacting HP and see what they have to say. 99% of you questions are HP and 1% Backup exec.

I think they would have a better solution and could advise you how to set this up

Yes - you would think they would - I already talked with them and all they were concerned with was my ability to actually use the replication software. I was just wondering if anyone on here had faced the same scenario of replicating data and doing the backups from the replications.

Thanks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back