Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samsung HDD to Rocketfish SATA enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGtekkie

Technical User
Jan 5, 2009
My laptop crashed and I have to send it in to HP for a hardware problem. I am trying to retrieve the data off of my laptop HD, but I have no idea how to connect the HD to the USB enclosure.

The hard drive that I have is a Samsung 320gb (Model: HM320JI p/n: HM320JI/M) and the enclosure I bought is a Rocketfish 2.5" SATA hard drive enclosure kit.

I checked online to verify that the Samsung is an SATA drive...unless it is not..??

The manual does not help. A picture depicts a sliding action to connect the HD to the enclosure, but a vertical pulling action is required to remove my HD from the laptop.

This is my first time doing this, if you can't already tell.

...so how do I do this?
with that enclosure, it will not work, the drive and enclosure use different connector types, both are SATA, but the enclosure is a standard SATA and the drive uses a newer type of connector...

other words it will not work ...

Maybe another member can lead you to a correct external enclosure, or had similar problems and solved it...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Thanks for the reply BigBadBen!

It turns out there was an adapter that had to be removed on the hard drive. Now I have a new problem.

I am able to see the drive in My Computer (with the main and HP recovery partition), but I cannot the main partition. I can access the recovery partition.

I am trying to take ownership of the drive on another laptop, but right clicking does not bring up a security tab. The used space and free space both read 0 bytes.

I used a file recovery program to see if the files were there and accessible, and they were, but the program renames all the files. I now know that the files are accessible.

My question is: How do I access the files on the drive without the recovery program?

Sounds like you lost the partition table/information on that drive:

You could try this from the Recovery Console:

Type: FIXMBR x: (where 'x' is the drive to be fixed...)

alternatively, you could try several different FileRecovery softwares, e.g.:

Recuva (Freeware)

Commercial, with TRIAL time:

FileScav (I know this one will save the file name structure along with the filename)

GetDataBack

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

DGtekkie said:
My laptop crashed and I have to send it in to HP for a hardware problem. I am trying to retrieve the data off of my laptop HD...

Was that crash HD-related? You could also try running chkdsk X: /r against the drive (where X is the drive letter of the HDD). But, if the reason for the crash was HDD failure, you might be stuck with a recovery program like the ones Ben recommended above.

Another thought would be to place the HDD back in the troubled laptop, and boot to the recovery partition. It may give you the option for a repair install that will retain your data if the sectors are not damaged beyond all repair. You can also do a repair install with an OS disc.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back