Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samsung Formatting Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morderath

Technical User
Oct 25, 2006
CA
Im fixing my friends computer by formatting his harddrive.
His computer was very badly mangled by viruses and adware that he needed it.

I proceeded to move all his stuff onto a spare drive of mine then format.
Format went fine, as expected.. then when windows was setting up I got a blue screen that said it encountered a error and was shut down, check to make sure there is enough Hard Drive Space.

I booted it back up again and lo and behold it started fine, installed windows and I was in. When I was getting his network set back up I restarted it twice and on the second time when it loads windows it flashes the blue screen for about a split second then restarts and continues this cycle.

I tried repair console rewriting the boot sequence and even creating a new master boot sequence when I got frustrated, to no avail. Now when I format again I cant even install Windows it just gives me that blue screen.

Im trying to find a diagnostics program, but I dont know if its the harddrive or not.
Partitioning error?
Oh.. it started in safe mode when it was giving me the blue screen before I re-formatted.. ?

Im not at his house but its a Samsung... umm whater that optical logo thing is, smartdrive? I can get the product code if you guys need it. 120gb's, and slave/master stuff is set properly.

Should I run a diagnostics? Format until it works? Suggestions?

3 things:

A) let me know what info you need
B) How do I check his warranty off Samsung website? I got it registered but no warranty status :(
C) (on the side) curious... is the power supply for your processers fan connected to the processer? Ive never done it but i heard stopping the fan while its running can damage it casue they are linked?

Most new processors like cooling. Running any power CPU without the fan cycling will ruin the processor. Even though they have thermal failsafes in the unit doing without a fan will eventually damage the CPU. Try to manually set the hard drive parameters in the BIOS using the hard drive's manufacturer's specifications. Also try using only one memory stick during the primary install.

Check the hard drive cabling, make sure the data cable is properly plugged in and you haven't damaged it - your problem might be down to a loose or faulty connection.

If you have the part no. for the drive you should be able to check what the warranty is on Samsung's web site - if not, just email them.

The CPU fan is normally powered via a cable attached to a header on the motherboard. If this isn't connected the CPU can overheat in seconds.

Nelviticus

Okay. With the processer I meant if you bump it and it stops for a split second :p

Okay ill try the cabling and stuff next, but before I head over there, I tried that Hutil program...
quesiton:

Can I just format a regular floppy?

I tried smackin the unzipped folder on a formatted, then that didnt work so I unzipped the contents straight ONTO a floppy and THAT didnt work, keeps giving me the "Insert proper boot device" thing (No running OS installed)

How do I get it to work?

Also on the Samsung site all it gives me is the name its registered under and the Info of the drive (S/N, DoP, etc.)
No warranty status.
(Yes I set the main boot device to floppy drive, and its conncected propperly.. also booted up Windows Recovery and tried to execute from there with no luck, any running DOS program on the BIOS or motherboard I can get to without a OS to execute it?)

3. Execution
Hutil is a DOS based utility so it is needed to prepare a bootable 1.44-MB diskette in advance.

Place a floppy in the drive, right-click the drive icon->Format, check box "Quick Format" and "Create an MS-DOS Startup Disk" . Now you have a bootable floppy. Leave this disk in, reboot,it will churn then give you a DOS prompt.

Insert the other diskette you made, type
Code:
A:\Hutil.exe

and the utility should start. Best of luck!

Tony

Addendum...press "Enter" after typing the 'code' above...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back