Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samsung DVD-ROM SD-608 not reading drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

chetah25

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2002
GB
I have a tiny computer with win98 and Samsung DVD-ROM SD-608 drive when i boot the pc i get the following error:

canot find the file'kerne1.exe,C:\windows\msconfig.exe' (or one of it's components. Majke sure the path and file name are correct and all required libraries are available.

When you click OK and then try and play a CD or DVD you get the error D: is not accessible click retry or cancel.

What has gonw wrong why can i not acces the Drive I can not even explore the drive to see what is on the CD...

Chet

I would start by testing the drive in dos. If you have a Wndows 98 startup floppy, boot to it and select "Boot With CD-ROM support" when it asks. Watch as it boots, it'll tell you what drive letter it assigns to the dvd drive. at the a:> prompt type "d:" (where D is the drive letter assigned) and press enter. insert a cd in the drive. You'll then see a D:>. type "dir" and press enter. This will show the contents of the root directory of the drive. You WILL NOT be able to read contents of a DVD in DOS. If this works, the drive is good and your problem is with Windows. Your description sounds like you have corrupted one or several of your core Dynamic Link Library files (*.dll). If this is true, you can copy them from another system with Win 98, or just reinstall windows. Good luck. hg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back