Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samsung CD-ROM SC-148A read errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ylustrata

Technical User
Aug 13, 2002
US
I have been having intermittent read errors from the Samsung CD-ROM drive in my HP Pavilion a820n system. The Disc is ok because I can read it without error using the HP DVD writer on the same machine.

I found what looks like a driver update from the following website:

Flash Utility And ROM Binary For Samsung SC-148A CD-ROM Drive
version B409 (22 Jul 04)

Resolves issue with intermittent read errors when the CD-ROM drive reads from a CD-R disc

In my system, HP Pavilion a820n, I have:
Samsung CD-ROM SC-148A
Currently installed driver:
Provider: Microsoft
Date: 7/1/2001
Version 5.1.2535.0

I contacted HP and chatted online with a support person:

HP Person
I apologize for the inconvenience caused, however the driver given in the link may not be compatible with your Samsung drive.
Me:
Is there no way to verify that the driver currently installed in my system is up-to-date. And if it is not then is there a way to update it?
HP Person
I have checked your system details and currently there are no updates available for your CD rom drive which is shipped.

QUESTION: How can I reach a competent person at HP or anywhere who can help me?

If your drive previously worked ok, and now does not, its probably just dying - CD ROMs do that with monotonous regularity - but they are very inexpensive now, so I'd just replace it (or even get a DVD! - also inexpensive now).

(XP has perfectly competent drivers for most CD drives - should certainly have for something as common as HP - so unlikely to solve problem even if you found a competent HP person!)

Further to what wolluf has stated.
First off, cdroms are now old technology and they cost about $1 or so to make these days. The biggest cost is getting them from Asia to North America. So you can just about imagine the quality involved.
I do computer repairs for people and Radio Shack has been selling these Acer pcs and i keep getting people coming in telling me the cdrom isnt working. I send them back to Radio Shack when they are still under warranty for 2 reasons. One, they can get a new one free, two, the case is riveted on one side and its hard to get the cdrom out, so the only way i would want to work on one of these machines is when its out of warranty and i can drill the rivets out and install screws. However, a few say they dont care about the warranty and want me to install a new cdrom, or dvdrom, or burner, or both, and drill out the rivets!
Thats an idea of how cheap todays cdroms are, they fail in the first few months sometimes.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back