Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samsung 160GB HDD and AMI BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevsim

Instructor
Apr 18, 2000
AU
My friend was maintaining his computer and found a virus using MalwareBytes Anti Malware software.
It detected a virus, he is not sure what it was and removed it using the programe.
After this happened the cursor froze and he had to re boot the computer.
The computer would no longer start and the initial Megatrends screen stayed displayed.
I checked the BIOS for him and found the C: drive (Samsung SATA II 160GB) was not detected.
Then using the Windows XP installation disk on a reboot in the CD drive, there was a lot of activity showing from the hard drive activity indication LED while copying the files to repair Windows, would this suggest the HDD had not died?
I checked all BIOS settings for him (AMI BIOS, Version 8/3/09, Build 0504)and found no apparent errors.
Could this be a coincidence of a virus and hard drive collapse at the same time or some type of virus issue.
He is running Windows XP Home as the operating system.
I would appreciate any advise as to the problem.
kevsim

My friend had written the virus name down and has just found it.
The name Win32/Induc, hope this helps.
kevsim

Lemon13,
Thank you for the reply.
I had set the BIOS back to default and checked all the settings, they are OK.

Do you have any idea why the HDD Led was active when I was running the Windows CD in the CD drive?
kevsim

Do you have any idea why the HDD Led was active when I was running the Windows CD in the CD drive?"
no

did the hdd show up in bios then?
try a repair from the cd
boot from cd, dont use the first repair option (choose install instead), setup will then try to find any installed os, when it finds one you get another repair option, choose this one.

if that doesnt help, get ultimate boot cd
with that you can test the hdd (most manufactor testingtools are included)

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

lemon13,
Thanks for the info.
I had tried all the suggestions but nothing worked.
The HDD never showed in the BIOS.
The computer came back from repair at a dealer about 3 weeks ago after a rebuild due to a power surge caused by a lightning strike very close by.
My friend was concerned that by rermoving the cover, (it had a sticker seal)that all warranty would be void.
I deceided it was not a virus, (just coincidence it failed when he removed the virus) and that it was hardware.
Told him to take back to the dealer, the dealer told him it was a loose wire inside, covers a multitude of errors.
He picked it up late yesterday and wants me to re connect all today.
kevsim

Told him to take back to the dealer, the dealer told him it was a loose wire inside, covers a multitude of errors."
i hope he isnt paying the service, i suppose the techs put the sticker on, so i would argue with them about "warrenty"

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

Lemon13,
A little further info as the saga continues.
I reconnected the computer after it being returned from the dealer, supposedly fixed.
Switched on and same problem occurred, after rebooting about 5 times, finally it came to the Windows desktop. After about 10 minutes the cursor froze, as it did originally. Rebooted and original problem was there, went into the BIOS and the HDD was not detected.

Switched off the computer, rebooted and then it booted to the desktop.
I warned my friend that the problem was still there and take it back to the dealer as soon as he can.
He was using it the next day, the cursor froze and it would not reboot.
I had a quick look at it, entered the BIOS and the HDD was not detected again, I switched it off disconnected the computer and told him to take it back to the dealer.
Now waiting for the answer this time.
kevsim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back