Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sample config for failover

Status
Not open for further replies.

eemergeit

Technical User
Mar 7, 2007
US
Say I have a link with ip 69.176.208.0 /24 which is primary link and 63.118.44.0 /25 which is backup link. Can someone give me a sample config that will failover from the primary to the backup when the primary goes down? This is a Cisco router. Thank you for all your help!

Try these 2 links for some examples on floating static routes and backup interfaces.

What I've done in my network though is with using OSPF just cost one link higher than the other.

My preference is to use EIGRP and just let it figure it all out for me, but some people up above decided to use OSPF.

What would happen to incoming traffic once it failed over? Is there a way to accomplish this through BGP? Sorry I'm pretty new to this.

I'm not that strong on BGP, but I believe it will announce it out. You will probably have to adjust some of the BGP metrics, but not having worked that much with BGP (yet) I can't answer for certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back