Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sample Company - not added?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borvik

Programmer
Jan 2, 2002
US
This may or may not be related to my other problems (see thread632-1419716 and thread632-1372411).

First, some reference to how it started.

At first when using version 7.5 we had three companies, the Sample company, our Company, and a Copy of our Company.

When upgrading from 7.5 to 9 - our var recommended that we get rid of the unneeded companies to shorten the conversion process. I did so - it's been a while, so I don't remember the exact process I used. I think I removed the company using GP first, and then removed the database from SQL Server using Enterprise Manager.

After my test upgrade from version 9 to version 10, I wanted to add the sample company again. So I used GP Utilities to do so. The process completed, and now GP Utilities shows the option to "Re-add sample company data" which was good.

Logging in to GP (version 10) I don't have the option to select the Sample company (Fabrikam I believe it is now). Ok, I figured I needed to give myself access to it using "User Access" - even though I was logging in as sa. I try doing that, but the sample company wasn't showing up in there, just the regular company. I checked the server and the database itself does exist, but apparently the complete company information isn't in the DYNAMICS database.

Having failed to add the sample company successfully on the test GP 10 server, I decided to try to add the sample company to the live GP 9 server.

I received the same results. Something must have happened either during the removal process or the upgrade process from 7.5 to 9.

I'm hoping that all the problems are related, and the fixing one would fix the others.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Have you checked the SY01500 for the TWO Database to see if it is still in there? The Database is still called TWO even though the company name is Fabrikam.

I just ran "SELECT * FROM SY01500" and only returned our 1 company.

I guess that what I was trying to say to begin with. The database structure for TWO itself exists, but the company doesn't appear to have been created.

On a whim, I just decided to check for data in the sample database (I know some sample orders are put in there from doing a clean install - no upgrade), and a "SELECT * FROM SOP10100" and "SELECT * FROM SOP30200" both returned absolutely nothing. Which makes me think that NO data was entered for anything - only the structure was created.

I would suggest drop the TWO database and using Dynamics Utilities to create it again.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Senior Development Consultant
Escalation Engineer - Great Plains
Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)

Any views contained within are my personal views and
not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
and confers no rights.

Well, I dropped the database - and readded it using Dynamics Utilities.

This time I did receive an error - during the adding of sample business alerts (a Duplicate Key error).

I was able to confirm that the TWO database did indeed have data this time around, and GP did recognize the company and allow me to login into it.

The other two errors do still exist - so maybe they aren't related. Shoot - I was kinda hoping they were and they would all get fixed at once. I suppose nothing is ever that simple.

I'm not sure what caused it to work (almost completely) this time vs. the last time, I didn't really do anything different except try it again.

Do you want to give the errors so we could take a shot at them?

You can find them in the other threads listed at the beginning of this thread. I should probably keep them as separate, rather than bringing them into this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back