Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Same username for multiple workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.

protocolpcs

IS-IT--Management
Mar 29, 2003
US
Is there a problem with having 10+ Windows 7 workstations with the same username and password? They are accessing files on the Windows Server 2008 R2. The server is a DC but the workstations are not joined to the domain. I didn't want to create that many separate users and we are not concerned with security. We have one network application that runs on the server and the workstations log into it. The workstations app is having what seems like network connection problems and I am troubleshooting.

I didn't want to create that many separate users
So then why do you have a DC?
we are not concerned with security
Why not?

Things are much cleaner and easier if you'd just domain join the machines, and give people normal user names.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

The stations I'm talking about don't have a single person using them, nor does anyone use them for personal work. They are basically terminals in a dentist office that are used to view and work in the dental app. Computers used by office staff do have unique logins. My question is if 10 stations with same user cause any problems with Windows server/client relationship, networking, file sharing, etc....
Thank you for responding

My question is if 10 stations with same user cause any problems with Windows server/client relationship, networking, file sharing, etc....

NO! That's the whole point of having the users in AD. Users can login from any machine and still get their files and even their desktop if you want to enable that feature. You can create only 1 user for the users that only use the application and many employees can use that user name. But it's better for security for each user to have a unique name, so you can disable their account if they're about to get fired and everyone else keeps working. With one account, you couldn't do that. Not to mention that other users in the office probably need access to HR data/files and not everyone should have access to that. Are you lazy when it comes to user creation?

You shouldn't name the machines the same either. I don't know if that's what you were thinking. They should be named independent of the user expected to use it, like PC1, PC2, etc. or Office1, Office2, whatever.

As stated, if you have a server and you don't join the PCs to the domain, it's kind of umm, a waste.

The REAL problem: You probably haven't set your workstations up properly for DNS. What do you have set as the primary DSN server on the workstations. Should be the server's IP address and not the router's IP like you would see at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back