Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samba's Winbind + Server2k3 SP1 = Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwyatt85

MIS
Feb 7, 2005
US
If you havent heard yet, Service Pack 1 for Server2k3 kills Samba's useful winbind feature.

According to samba.org the new version, 3.0.14a, fixes the compatibility issues.

Let me set the stage,
Im upgrading my domain from server 2000 to server 2003. I'm bringing up new boxes to replace the old ones but letting them all run together during the migration process.

Currently I have 2x Server 2000 Domain controllers and 2x Server 2003 Domain controllers. I use winbind on my file server and proxy for obvious reasons, and my configs have worked like a charm up till now.

My testing and tweaking has gotten me this far:

I upgraded Samba to 3.0.14a on both my boxes. They still work now with their old config. I modified my krb5.conf file to point to the new 2003 box. I changed resolv.conf so that it uses the two new boxes for DNS. Here's my smb.conf's global settings:

[global]
idmap gid = 10000-20000
dns proxy = no
netbios name = GSOFS
delete readonly = yes
printing = cups
idmap uid = 10000-20000
default = global
local master = no
workgroup = GSO
debug level = 0
os level = 33
printcap name = cups
security = domain
max log size = 50
winbind separator = /
directory mode = 775
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
load printers = yes
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
wins server = 10.30.0.111
map to guest = bad user
encrypt passwords = yes
winbind use default domain = no
realm = GSO.MYDOMAIN.EDU
printer admin = @adm
server string = Samba Server
winbind enum users = yes
password server = 10.30.0.3, 10.30.0.8
only user = yes
unix password sync = yes
revalidate = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
create mode = 775

This config works fine, where 10.30.0.3 and .8 are my 2000 Domain controllers and .111 and .112 are my new domain controllers.

when i change the password servers to the 2003 boxes i receive an error using "wbinfo -u" that the information cannot be found. "wbinfo -t" still works, so im a bit perplexed. Could the issue be something more general? Perhaps something that doesnt have anything to do with SP1?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back