Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samba with Windows 2003 slave server

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2003
FI
I'm currently having a network with one Linux/Samba server acting as primary domain controller. Now I need to connect a Windows 2003 server to the network acting as a database/software server (financial software). Is it possible to have the Windows server connected to the domain as a slave server (just add it to the domain) and still use the Samba server as login/domain controller?

Do I need to byu Windows user licenses?

yes and yes.

Samba can be configured to be the domain master, see /etc/samba/smb.conf (open in vi or other editor), as long as its the original its very well documented.

M$server licences: if you want users to actually use the services on the MS server you will most likely have to buy CALs or Client Access Licences. thta largely depends on what you will be doing with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back