Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samba VFS Recycle Bin doing nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

snaildarter

Technical User
Oct 23, 2002
US
I have been trying to implement the VFS recycle bin in Samba. Have samba-2.2.7-1.7.3 (I believe AKA 2.2.7a) on RH7.3 PDC. When I implement it, nothing happens (no "recycle" directory is created; no "deleted" files are moved).

Entry in smb.conf:

[temporary]
comment = hah
path = /home/tempthing
read only = no
create mask = 0770
vfs object = /usr/lib/samba/vfs/recycle.so
vfs options = /etc/samba/recycle.conf

Entry in /etc/samba/recycle.conf:

name = recycle
mode = KEEP_DIRECTORIES|VERSIONS|TOUCH
maxsize = 0
exclude = *.tmp|*.temp|*.o|*.obj|~$*
excludedir = /tmp|/temp|/cache

recycle.conf, recycle.so, and tempthing all have permission of 755. I am using the recycle.so that came with 2.2.7-1.7.3.

Testing results in nothing. I've also tried manually creating the recycle directory in the root of the share (/home/tempthing/recycle), but still nothing happens.

I would appreciate anyone's input, even if I'm told to go look for answers elsewhere!

Thank you

After doing a log level = 10, I figured it out. Well, for the benefit of someone else someday, let me describe what the issue was.

I was testing by creating a empty text document (you know, in windows, right-click, new, text document...), and then deleting that file. But recycle.so doesn't move an empty document into the recycle directory! Rather, just deletes it as normal.

I suppose it would be unethical to give myself stars.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back