Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samba setup on rhel 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wags2272

Technical User
Jun 3, 2005
US
I'm trying to configure a shared drive via samba on my linux system. When I try to connect to mount the networked drive from Windows I either get prompted for a user name and password or it mounts but then tells me access is denied. I have the shared drive setup to accept all users. What gives?

Thanks,
Jonathan

it sounds like you have not added users to the samba PAM.

unless you are letting windoz manage your samba PAM by joining a domain, you should create each user in samba

Code:
smbpasswd -a usernmame

the command above will add a user and prompt you for the samba network password at the same time.

QatQat

If I could have sex each time I reboot my server, I would definitely prefer Windoz over Linux!

Am I missing something here? If I want anyone to be able to connect I still have to have a username and password?

yep! or sort of.

I am not sure about samba public shares as I never needed one. I just love linux's groups handling; it does a great job through your smb.conf in creating the right open share for the right group of people so you will never need a wild open public share.

Coming back to your question, while on a windoz server your PAM is obviously consistant across authentication and sharing, when using samba you are asking linux to emulate windoz's CIFS networking.
Linux/Unix native way of networking is NFS and when using NFS you do not need to create users again when you need to allow them on the network.

There are however a few options in samba which automatically create samba users when a new linux user is created or, I repeat, if you join a windoz domain with samba, when a new user in windoz is added.

That should make your maintenance much easier.

QatQat

If I could have sex each time I reboot my server, I would definitely prefer Windoz over Linux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back