Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAMBA SERVER/CLIENT PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark94411

Technical User
Jun 27, 2001
US
hello all,
I have a redhat linux 6.1 server. I want to use this server as a file server. My problem is that when i try to log in to linux server from windows i get "network path not found". If I change the security = user to share in my smb.conf file I get in and see the share volume, click on share and get a login window then log in as john but get error "incorrect user or password". in my smb.conf file i have setup host allow = 192.168.70. I have all access share.created a user name john password is "john". and a smb username this way "smbpasswd -a john" and gave it john as password.linux fire wall is disable. I also log in as john on the linux server and was able to get into the shared volume so i know is not a rights problem. sometimes I also get the error " you are not authorize to log in from this machine" but i setup host allow to my network sunet 192.168.70.

what did i do wrong :-(

Let's try creating a new user from scratch

useradd -m -d /data/users/newname -s /bin/false -g data-group -G othergroups,bgroup,etcgroup newname<enter>

This will create a new user with the name newname.
The -m, will create the home directory.
The -d /home/newname, dictates the location of the home directory.
The -s /bin/false, gives the user a shell that can't be used, another words no telnet or ssh for this user.
The -g data-group, is this persons primary group.
The -G this is a list on any and all additional groups.
The last item is the users actual name, in this case, newname.

Now you'll need to assign a linux password, even if the person will never be allowed to login

passwd newname<enter>
newpassword<enter>
again newpassword<enter>

Finally,

/etc/smbpasswd -a name <enter>
will add a name to the smbpasswd file that wasn't previously there

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back