Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samba Question ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitts01

Technical User
Jan 24, 2006
GB
Guys & Girls ....

Help !!!

Is samba the best route to be going down as we are upgrading to Catia V5 (Windows PC's) but still using our aix workstions. All our data and NIS information is held on AIX servers (Aix5.3) and we want it to stay this way.

I have installed Samba on a test aix server and got the NFS mounts working fine on the pc's but what I am after is using the current usernames & password information (NIS) on the aix server for the pc logins as users will be using both AIX workstations & v5 windows pc's. I have configured samba to be part of the domainname on the aix server and can get my xp pc to join that domain and login with the same username and password on the aix server. The only bit I am unsure on is how to synchronise password changes ...

eg if user changes password on unix server then that updates samba password & if user changes samba password on pc then that updates NIS record on aix server.

Hope this makes sense ?

Many Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back