Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samba Newbie - System Requirements 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

R3dNeckTech

Technical User
Jun 9, 2006
US
My supervisor wants to make the switch to Linux, at least on one of our servers that is. I have never delt with anything except WinTels, so I'm about as lost as you can get.

My current task is to get the system requirments for Slackware Linux, Apache Web Server, and Samba (for interoperability between Linux and Windows machines). I had no problems with the first two, but I have yet to find requirements for Samba. I saw where someone else asked a similar question and was told that the requirements are more about the OS than Samba.

Doesn't Samba have some requirements? Somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

There are too many unknowns to answer your question.

1. How many users will be using the machine?

2. Will the same machine be used for Apache and Samba? (This can be considered a security no-no if the Apache server faces the internet)

3. What tasks will be expected of the Samba server (file serving only, file serving and printers, domain controller etc)

While Samba runs very well on older hardware with a few users, in a large user environment you will want faster hardware, hard drives and more memory.

Let us know some of the details, and we should be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the response! I'll pose these questions to my supervisor and get back with you.

Thanks Agagin!

Ok - I have some additional information for you.

There will be 5-10 users.

Apache and Samba will be on the same machine, but it will not be facing the internet.

File serving is the only task Samba will need to perform.

Thanks!

If this machine was only running Samba, then a machine with as little as a PIII-450 and 128MB ram would suffice for the file sharing needs.

Since you are going to be running Samba as well, I would suggest that a Celeron or an AMD Sempron with 1GB ram and the fastest hard drive you can get would better suit your needs (again, this is still not hardware intensive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back