Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

samba help plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

pranesh11

Technical User
Dec 4, 2003
IN

I am configuring samba on redhat 8.0, i hv edited smb.conf and given samba workgroup name as sambauser then shared /home and valid users as %S ands hosts allow 172.16.1. 172.16.2. 172.16.3 172.16.4. 172.16.5. ( i hv lan with 172.16.... series )then started smb and nmb daemons , then i rebooted my windows and logged in to windows domain and when i click on entire network it is showing sambauser and when i double click on it it says sambauser is not accessible, you might not hv permission to use this n/w resource contact administrator of this server to findout if u hv access permission The n/w path was not found ... what could be the prob?? i hv added my user name in smbpasswd file and given same passwd of my windows passwd. when i give smbclient -L localhost it is giving the following o/p

Anonymous login successful
Domain=[SAMBAUSER] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.5]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
\home Disk
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Samba Server)
ADMIN$ Disk IPC Service (Samba Server)

Server Comment
--------- -------
ITSERVICES Samba Server

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
SAMBAUSER ITSERVICES

what shd i do to make samba accessible from my windows... plz advice.. 1yr back also we had same prob then we solved i don't remember.. how to resolve this.. plz help

when windows connects to a samba share, it tries to authenticate using the user ID / pwd of whoever is logged in.

You need to ensure that anyone trying to login to the samba server maps to a guest user. This is done by adding a line under the Global settings:
[tt]
[Global]
map to guest = bad user
[/tt]
This means that if the windows user ID doesn't exist in the samba user file, it will map that login to a guest login instead.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

You could also make sure user/password exist on both win and linux or you can add &quot;security = share&quot; to your globals and you shouldn't be prompted for a password.

Hi
I did both that is updating security to share and map to guest = bad user, also i hv same username and password on linux/ windows.. on my linux ipchain was running i have stopped it but still same prob..

try

map to guest = bad password

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

yep i did, no luck... same prob, when i checked ipchai and ip6 was running i disabled it.. can anything else be blocking?? how do i proceed or any soln for this plz

two things that stopped me.

1) My firewall prevented access. I forgot to allow the communication between the linux and windows box.

2) smbpasswd -a &quot;username&quot; for each user and then restart the 'SMB' service or reboot (?)

Good Luck

One Code to rule them all, One code to bind them.

since your ITSERVICES machine is in the SAMBAUSER workgroup not your windows domain, you may need to create a user map.
in the smbusers file:

linuxusername = \domain\windowsusername

you may also need to tell it where your wins server is.

Hi Experts,

Thanks for all your help and advice, i reinstalled my linux box by choosing no firewall option, now its working well.. thanks again for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back