Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

samba fail when access from windows , why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

william6789

Technical User
Mar 14, 2003
CA
Hi,
I set samba in one linux server and tried to access from another windows xp , and the linux server name is defaulted as localhost. I got the error message like this: \\localhost is not accessible.....might not have permission to use this network resource. ....You were not connected because a duplicated name exists on this network. .... change computer name and try again'
My XP computer name is lt0, so I do not know what is the problem and how to fix it. Could somebody give me some advice?
Thanks in advance

William

Can you get to it if you try the IP address \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Also, to access the SAMBA server, you need to use the name set in the smb.conf file.

Sorry, I meant use an alias in your smb.conf file.

Sounds like "localhost" is also used on the XP box, probably mapped to 127.0.0.1. So from the XP box's perspective, it is localhost, not the linux box, and can't connect to itself.

--
JR

Is ur linux servers name is localhost.. try by changing the name of linux machine. One thing is have configured samba correctly. check the username of winxp machine that name must exist in smbpasswd file ... it will be better if u reflect u r smb.conf file here...

Best luck...
With regards amit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back