Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samba connection errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

HornedOne

MIS
Mar 8, 2001
GB
Hi,
I have set up samba on a linux machine running mandrake 8.1 and everything seems fine. The machine is on net 194.130.5.X, if I connect from the same netmask, all is ok. If I connect from another netmask I cannot connect to samba, it doesn't even ask me for a password, how can I get round this?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi,

You would need an IP route from the other machine to the samba subnet and possibly wins/nmb name resolution.

Can you do a 'net view \\194.130.5.X' or ping the samba server ? If so, the ip routing should be OK. If not, you'd need to create a route ('route add ...' ) or set the default gateway. Can you describe the physical connection method ?

If it works with IP address but not servername then its a netbiosname resolution problem. You can either run the samba 'wins' server, nmbd or just put entries in the local windows LMHOSTS file which maps netbiosnames to IP addresses in a similar way to a HOSTS file.

Hope this helps

To access your samba server seamlessly across subnets
you must configure several things:
#1-Find out if there is a domain master browser for the
subnet(nmblookup -M)
If not.
Configure samba as the domain master browser with a global line:
domain master = yes
allow it to share its netbios name list with other domain masters
#remote subnet(192.168.1.0/24)
remote announce = 192.168.1.255/mygroup(bcast address/wkgrp)
or:
#for the other domains master browser:
#(192.168.1.2)
remote announce = 192.168.1.2/mygroup
#(unicast)

The other solution is to use wins, which is simple too
but takes too much client work for me.;)

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back