Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Samba Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclaren

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2001
IT
Hi,
I have set up a samba server and connect to our NT domain to work as file & print sever.I have problems with backup that I can only backup the certain user data which I login by using one of my NT server to backup.How can I backup all my userdata in one time taht means I can login in to all profile at the samne time.

Create an admin group that has read and write permissions to all samba directories and give it one member.
Create a samba account and passwd for this account and
then log in for your backups under this account.
Sort of like the backup user on NT.
My .2 cents

Hi,

I think the problem you are having is with the 'home' shares. Ordinarily you would have a section in smb.conf like this :

[homes]
browsable = no
writable = yes

This special share will equate to /home/u% where u% is the username. In this way, it varies by samba user. To back up all of the 'homes' stuff via samba you would need to create an explicit convetional share that had the path /home - something like this :

[homeback]
path = /home
writeable = yes
valid users = whoever
admin users = whoever

So you would back that up instead...

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back