Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAMBA, all *was* fine, now what? 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR

Status
Not open for further replies.

diodotus

Programmer
Sep 30, 2002
US
Hi,

We've had our business server functioning dandy for a long time, with SAMBA acting as a domain controller for our clients. No issues. All was lovely.

Now, it was time to upgrade hard drives in the RAID controller, to create a 200 gb container (rather than the 100 gb container we had). So, hard drives were changed, and all our good data dropped right back on the new drives. All looked good.

The clients can see the domain controller (Babylon), browse the domain (SVS), read and write files, etcetera. But they cannot join the domain!

As an aside, browsing the domain is recorded in the SAMBA logs on the server, but requests to join the domain are not -- so it looks like (surprise, surprise) the problem is on the Windows side, and that Windows XP isn't even trying to join the (correct) domain.

1: The Babylon SAMBA server is physically the exact same machine, configured the exact same way as it was before, save that we put new (larger, faster) hard drives in, and dropped all of the old data back on the new drives (still RAID 5).
2: The clients are still the same old clients.
3: The samba server is running, with no errors.
4: The clients see the SAMBA server.

BUT

When I attempt to actually have one of the clients join the SVS domain (by going to system properties -> computer name changes, clicking the "domain" radio button, typing the domain name SVS, and clicking OK), it doesn't work so well. . . . I get the following error:

A domain controller for the domain SVS could not be contacted.
Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly
If the name is correct, click Details for troubleshooting information

Details, gives the following:
Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The domain name SVS might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain SVS:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist." (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.SVS

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

SVS
. (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

Any thoughts about why it might be looking for the domain via DNS? I'm gonna keep banging away here. Thanks much for any advice you can give.

-- Scott David Gray
reply-to: sgray@sudval.org

Did you upgrade samba to a newer version during the upgrade? I recall some setting that the default changed and caused me a few headaches. It was a simple setting in the smb.conf file, and the problems were similar: I couldn't join a domain and it gave me a similar type of error. It was due to the Windows clients caching domain information.

Nice guess. But, sadly, that isn't the explanation. I upgraded nothing. It's the exact same kernel, exact same programs, exact same configuration files.

We are temporarily back to the original four hard drives in the RAID controller, and all is good. I have been occasionally loading the new container, to test various hypotheses, but to no effect.

-- Scott David Gray
reply-to: sgray@sudval.org

The only other thing that comes to mind is that the Windows clients don't see Samba's WINS server. On the Windows clients, see if the WINS server is pointing correctly to Samba's IP address. You might have to update dhcp to correctly send out the WINS server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back