Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

salvageing a crashed nt server os from backup files? how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juzeppy

MIS
Apr 20, 2001
Hi everyone,

I tried to multi-home my NTserver I added a second nic card
I went into dhcp manager and configured the second cards' address as another dhcp server. I also configured dhcp to save a log file in the dhcp manager menu
I rebooted and now when I get to the login screen the keyboard goes dead (so I cant control alt delete to login)even in vga? mode (I mean nt version of safe mode)

the server dual boots so I can also boot up in win98 to examin the nt files.

there are several files which were modified at the time I saved the dhcp configuration some of these are in backup folders (I did not create them as a backup Nt did)

Is it possible to recover my previous dhcp setting from these files and avoid reinstalling nt?

did you try loading the last known good configuration by pressing space bar on boot up and pressing L or D. As long as you haven't logged in since making all these changes then resetting the last known good configuration should bring the registry back to a stage before you made all these changes. give it a go, at the least it may allow you to log in.

just another note, if you have the 3 nt disks and an emergency repair disk you could try booting off the 3 nt disks and selecting the repair option, it'll bring you back to the state the server was in when the repair disk was last updated. it would save you having to rebuild the server.

Try removing the second NIC that you put in as it may be causing a conflict of some kind -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks guys,
I tried booting and pressing the spacebar and then L.
It worked.
I was able to login.
I opened dhcp manager. I deleted the changes I had made.
I'll reboot and see how things go.
thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back