Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Safenet uninstallation failed in Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2003
US
I had to uninstall the Mobile User 6.11 VPN client and ever since, when I try to reinstall it I get the dreadful message "Safenet uninstallation failed" and cannot continue. I've cruised Watchguard's own support site and did all that they suggested there (even deleted registry keys) but nothing seems to work. Watchguard's own solutions are pretty lame and helpless, judging by the many complaints of the exact same problem. Anyone out there found a solution or a work around this issue?

Any suggestion or solution will be greatly appreciated.

Watchguard is aware of the problem and there is a step-by-step FAQ on their web site to remove it. It does work at least on my machine it did.

Unfortunatly I do not know the steps off the top of my head and their site is down this weekend for maintenance. But a document is there.

In the mean time, just take it out of your msconfig and any kind of start up registy keys which sounds like you have already done.

Brandon

I followed Watchguard's instructions, but they're somewhat incomplete. I had to hunt down some DLLs and additional registry keys which the instructions do not mention (the users forum was a big help) and finally I was able to uninstall the client.
However, when reinstalling it, I got this error message:

"Windows cannot find C:\Program Files\Watchguard\Mobile. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again."
A DOS window opens and I receive this:

C:\Documents and Settings\My Name >start c:\Program~1\Watchguard\Mobile User VPN\WgctSpd.exe "c:\Dosuments and Settings\My Name\Desktop\vpnusers.wgx"

The client installs, but incorectly, with a "No driver installed" message.

Can anyone give me an idea?

I think you should run setup.exe file and then choose remove all.
I think so.

Good luck!!!

I am able now to uninstall the Watchguard VPN client (Watchguard's own instructions are incomplete! Following them alone will not successfully uninstall the client) but I could not find a solution for the proper installation afterwards. Watchguard is either incapable or incompetent to resolve this (their support will always blame 3rd party software on your computer and will suggest that you reformat your HD!!!!).
If I will find a solution, I will post it in this forum.
For all of you out there I would definitely NOT recommend buying a Watchguard firewall, unless you're having fun re formating your HD and installing all of your applications.

Before trying to uninstall VPN client, make sure you deactivate the security policy then reboot. Then run the uninstall. this should remove everything. If Safenet still remains there is a registry key that needs removing. Do a Find in Regedit for watchguard, muvpn, safenet and any other related files then remove the associated key.

I had to do this on mine and I didn't have to reformat my hard drive. Not yet anyway.

Hope this helps.

I was able to uninstall the client (there are 4 .dll files that pertain to Safenet and if they remain on your system, the uninstall will terminate prematurely).

My problem is that it will not install correctly. No matter what I do, I am getting those messages:

C:\Documents and Settings\My Name >start c:\Program~1\Watchguard\Mobile User VPN\WgctSpd.exe "c:\Dosuments and Settings\My Name\Desktop\vpnusers.wgx"

Does anyone know why does that happen?
Is it a good idea to create a new partition and try to install there? Will that make a difference?

Any ideas are appreciated.

I have the same problem, when i try to install the MUVPN i receive the Message "Safenet uninstallation failed". Do you have a document or anything else to solve the Problem ? Please help.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back