Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

safemode boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Whenever the computer is cold booted it always wants to boot to safemode? At the selection screen I always press "1" for normal boot and it boots just fine, always stable, without any type of lockup or anything. If I do a warm reboot it boots just fine and bypasses the "safemode" boot, its just booting when the system is off that it wants to go to safemode? I always make sure windows shuts down the system before power down, and it doesn't run scandisk so I'm guessing its not hard drive related, just can't seem to find the problem. I have a gigabyte ga-71xe4 mobo with 512mb ram, an older geforce 200mx 32 meg video card, soundblaster pci, ethernet card, USR modem, WD 45gb hard driver and 2 cdrws. The system was always stable before and haven't done anything in a while as far as driver updates or system changes. I was thinking some software installed over the last month or so must have changed a setting and I just can't locate it. A friend mention my power supply might be going but after the initial boot process this computer can run days without any hint of trouble? Anyone have some ideas?

Bob Ferguson

Hi,
I'm not sure what is causing the problem but you can try forcing your system to boot normally by editing the MSDOS.SYS file.
Make a copy of MSDDOS.SYS before messing with it.
You will need to uncheck it's read-only attribute before editing.

Open the file in Notepad

Add a new line
BootSafe=0 ;(Normal Boot)
or
BootSafe=1 ;(Safe Mode Boot)

Change the attributes back to as they were before
You can read more about this this at

No promises but I would try it and see.
If you are not sure how, Ask me.
Regards
Mike

Sometimes Windows is just stupid like that.

With the utility TweakUI (on the Win98 CD, not the SE CD, but also downloadable from Microsoft somewhere), you can also easily set the computer never to run scandisk upon startup, plus a lot of other cool options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back