Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Safely access network from home or outside of network

Status
Not open for further replies.

flw

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2007
For a Small network with Win2003 R2 and a weak netgear firewall, what new devices and software do I need to securely have someone operate from the outside/home via the Internet?

i.e. one medium power PC, server software, IDS, AV, additional firewall software or device, and have it sit in a DMZ? But is this too much to ask one box to do even with only one legit user typically on? We would have several different users(3) but they would not usually be on at the same time.

Is there a specialty box that someone sells, that does most of what one needs today?

You can get Soho - small office home office routers (with or without adsl built in)

You can by a soho/firewall with VPN capbilities, icnluding remote/telework/client vpn features

with
Mobile User VPN Client Licenses

You would need a DMZ for this the vpn is all encrypted

Or you could use citrix or a windows terminal server

I have a watchguard firebox and my home users, have a pices of software on there laptop that they activate and type the username and password (set for them on the firebox)

They can then access all files, emails etc on the network

The watchguard edge box is a cutdown version,

Of course you could use windows XP pptp instead (free no edge needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back