Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Safe to delete the default email address?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2002
US
When our consultants stood up our exchange server, they set up the default hub transport email address policy to create two addresses on mailbox creation: [samaccountname]@FQDN (abc12@internal.contoso.com), and the default advertised reply to adddress of [first.last]@contoso.com.

I assume the first address was the stock address as created by the setup routine? Is it safe to delete that address, and/or delete that address from the policy so its not created in the future? are there any benefits to using an internal address like that as opposed to just using the public address? Or is it just another harmless alias?

You can generally delete that address from the address policy. But doing so will not remove the addresses already stamped on user accounts. You'll need to either do that manually, or script it.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back