Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Safari on Leopard crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmerlinn

Programmer
May 20, 2005
US
I have been running Safari on Leopard for years without a problem.

Suddenly last night it started crashing. It crashes anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes after connecting to the internet. It does not matter which website I am on. It even crashes if I am on a blank page.

Mac OS and other programs are not affected in any way. Even the error message to be sent to Apple says that it is only a browser problem. It does not disconnect the modem.

I can read the info sent to Apple, but have no idea what it means.

What information do I need to post that will help solve this problem?

BTW, I originally tried submitting this via NS on this computer, but there was NO submit button of ANY type. So, I wound up downloading iCab so I could submit this.

mmerlinn

Poor people do not hire employees. If you soak the rich, who are you going to work for?

"We've found by experience that people who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking and coding. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Raymond

Is OS X fully up-to-date? I'm having doubts if you still have NS (assuming 'Netscape'). Netscape has been dead for over 2 years.

I have NS up and running on the computer I posted from, but for some reason I was unable to submit the question from NS. I could not post from the crashing computer because Safari kept crashing.

I wound up taking the computer into Mac Pac and had a tech load FF. Everything is working now. OS was up-to-date, so he never changed that.

No idea why Safari was crashing, and the tech had no idea either.

Regardless, I have hated Safari ever since I got that computer, but was unable to download FF myself.

mmerlinn

Poor people do not hire employees. If you soak the rich, who are you going to work for?

"We've found by experience that people who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking and coding. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Raymond

I have also found FF to be more 'stable' than Safari. I wish I could offer more assistance; aside from 'download elsewhere onto a flash drive and then install'

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

[ ]
Welshbird

I tried downloading FF from this computer onto a flash drive then porting it over. I was unable to find the correct version of FF to download. In fact, I could not find ANY Mac version here (using Windows junk), even though using Safari on the Mac I COULD find FF, but could not download it.

mmerlinn

Mozilla.com detects the operating system you are using and offers the relevant download. However, you are not limited to a Windows download.

On the homepage of Mozilla.com, directly below the green image button to download Firefox, is a link to "All Systems & Languages".

What version of OS X? 10.5.?

Try deleting the preference file for Safari (SYSTEMDRIVE>Users>Library>Preferences com.apple.safari.plist) and then rebuild disk permissions using Disk Utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back