Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sad End? Accees Insecurity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carfj1

Technical User
Jan 19, 2003
MX
I have found a software which displays all the passwords of the MDW file. Is there a way to protect the mdw file some how?

Thanks

Could you place the file in a directory which only gives specific users access?

You could setup object auditing and monitor the usage of this file.

Man usually avoids attributing cleverness to somebody else -- unless it is an enemy. - A. Einstein

Mike555, All of the users (110) need to read the MDW file in order to start the aplication,

I have a BE+FE's application under WIN 95.

Could you give more details on how the MDW can be hidden and read at the same time.

I would like to know also how to monitor this file...

Thanks

Are all computers/servers Windows 95?

Mike
Man usually avoids attributing cleverness to somebody else -- unless it is an enemy. - A. Einstein

The BE is on Win95
The fornt ends are>
# of Users Office97 2K
WIN 95 60% 60 100% 0%
Win 98 30% 30 60% 40%
Win XP 10% 10 0% 100%

As you can see there is no standarization, and all of then have a shortcut with a command line:

....\office\msaccess.exe /wrkgrp ...\file.mdw

necesary for opening the database, they need to be able to read from this file.

Access security, as many people here have heard me say enough times to drive them batty, is very good at keeping people from tripping over data they shouldn't see, decent at people from poking around and finding data they can't see, and totally inadequate against a dedicated hacker.

If you need that kind of security, you simply must use a different database product.

I've never needed more than that security.

Jeremy

==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Affordable Development, Professionally Done

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back