Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sad day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnthephoneguy

Technical User
Jan 17, 2005
US
Yesterday I opened up a box of new phones that was shipped to us from Avaya. No longer does the 1140 say Nortel. There is now a big red AVAYA name on the front! Slightly bigger font than the Nortel logo.

I knew it was coming but it was still sad to see it go.
At least they do not have us putting stickers over the Nortel name! lol

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

If you want to buy replacement labels for existing phones (i.e. replace Nortel with Avaya), then you can get them as well.

may i recommend duct tape?

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thanks for the morning chuckle, John. I needed that.

The latest wrinkle for us. Our maintenance vendor's agreement with AVAYA. Newly purchased M39XX sets are no longer covered under a warranty period from the date of purchase. Any added sets are then charged an additional monthly maintenance cost until they are absorbed into the yearly system maintenance invoice. Unshakeable confidence in the product by both the manufacturer and the vendor. It doesn't get any better.

How many wraps of duct tape do you suggest?

Mark

KE407122
'Who is this guy named Lo Cel and why does he keep paging me?'

Yeah, every once in a while, I get that 'one' user that says, "I always get wrong numbers". After days of finding nothing wrong, I remove that fancy digital multi-button and install my one line analog AT&T yellow Trimline with rotary dial. After a week, the user calls for their other set, saying "it must be me!". I never hear from them again.
I would put in the orange NT Contempra, but that would Really confuse them.

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help?

when we can no longer get to REQ: prompt it will be sad. simmons went that way w

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

continued: simmons went that way with rolm.. man-machine interface, no command line.. they killed a perfect switch trying to remove the t from tech.. that lost millions and they are no longer in the game. rolm had vod that worked in the late 80's and a great little voice mail system.

for those of you that didn't get to play with that one, you could ? any prompt and get the possible answers..it was a screen paint interface, like merridian mail, but it scripted very clean

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I liked the card map function. All you had to do was list map and "see" the shelf with all the card types. You could then ask the card version. The Rolm voice and data was on a single pair too! The 9751 was a great switch. Phone Mail was just as easy too. IBM tried to make it repairable like their equipment. Have the minimally trained tech identify the machine by number type, then read a code, then order a part or make a software change. I liked the way Rolm and Nortel competed: Model 10 verses Opt 11, Model 50 verses Opt 51. Those were the very good old days.

RKDavis Wilmington,NC

%IBM....Data 3745 FEP's In a single step revolutionized both data networking and schmutzed on the english language.

One repair report, "Replaced the AMD"

IBM Glossary

AMD - Air Moving Device

Oh, a Fan!

KE407122
'Who is this guy named Lo Cel and why does he keep paging me?'

Who checked the difference nortel or avaya programming and maint.

which one is easier ?

It all depends on what you are used to.

I am used to the Nortel programming but once I got into the Avaya system I was able to fuddle my way through most of what I was looking for. Anyone can program either system but the problem comes with the terminology. The exact same feature will be called by two different names.

I would call a friend and say this is what I want to do, what is it called in Avaya?

Like when I was adding an analog line to a digital set and I did not know you had to use the button abridge and for digital dbridge etc.

Signature==========================================
Deck Staining
SEO Consulting

i think u can check the difference as:if u know the two products and u want to add a digital line or a E1.

how much time will it with u in both products?

It will be a sad day when Avaya decides to stop making the 11XX series, 12XX series, M39XX series phones and replacing them with their straight flat boxy looking 9600 phones along with the elimination of all the features we have come to love on Nortel phones:

-The 8 unique Nortel Ring Tones are replaced by the 3 to 5 toned, up, down, straight ring of the Avaya phones.

-Space Ship Nortel Keyclick Noise replaced by standard Avaya DTMF tones.

-Key 1 Call Waiting/Alert Buzz replaced by a standard ringing while you are on a call.

-Elimination of Easy to Find color coded fixed keys such as RLS/GOODBYE, Handsfree, Expand, Headset, Hold, etc. (They are all one color on Avaya phones)

-Red and Blue LED's on the phone replaced by one standard green color with the Main Line always illuminated.

-Lack of resemblance of Avaya phones to Nortel Centrex and Aastra phones will make matching phone purchases at large companies and universities to legacy Nortel products very difficult.

-Unique Handset design and flash hook designs compared to the Simple Avaya handsets.

-Elimination of standard easy to dial Nortel dial pad.

-Elimination of the familiar hang up noise of a Nortel phone, esepcially over a Paging System....just doesn't sound as crisp with an Avaya Phone.

-Avaya phones tend to click when you press the flash hook or hard to find drop button after a paging announcement, even on digital trunks, while Nortel phones release paging announcements and voice mail messages with complete silence.

I could go on and on.....anyone else want to add some phone facts here? I am crazy I know!

Joe

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Enthusiast

I wish I could mimmick the Avaya chirp tones here....but it sounds something like this....

bbeeeeeeeeeep, bep, beeeeep

or

beeeeeeeeee, be, be, beeeeeeep

or beeeeeeeeeeeeeepppp

its the annoying boring ring tones you always hear in a radio commerical or the background of TV shows....while Nortel has these graceful, unique polished ring tones.

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Enthusiast

I dread upgrading firmware monday....
Good bye Nortel and hello Avaya.

I am out of the industry now after retiring 6 years ago. I specialized in Nortel Meridian & Avaya and was very familiar with both, having both installed, offered tech support & implemented on both. They both had their advantages & disadvantages. I liked Nortel sets better and actually preferred the Nortel mnemonics to the Avaya programing screens, but when it came to call center stuff, Avaya beat Nortel hands down IMO.

Paul Beddows

Consulting, Avaya/EAS implementation, Training
Vancouver, Canada
E-mail paul at natcoa.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back