Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sa user account - questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

huiching

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
MY
Hi Folks,

I am newbie in Ms SQL. Could someone please what sa user account is? I believe it is the default user account when we installed SQL.

Would there be any impact if we change the password?

Thanks in advance!

sa is the default System Administrator login. The System Administrator has full SQL Server administration authority. The default password for sa is Null so it is good policy to change it immediately. There are several well documented cases of unauthorized access to SQL Servers because Administrators failed to set a password for sa.

The DBAs should setup up one or more system adminstrator logins for server and database administration. sa login should then be locked down with a secure password to prevent usage. However, the DBAs should keep track of the password in case of an emergency need.

There are possible ramifications if sa has been used to run jobs, bcp, etc. These jobs will fail when the password is changed. However, that kind of problem is easy to deal with compared to unauthorized tampering with data that has not been properly secured. Terry

The reason why worry kills more people than work is that more people worry than work. - Robert Frost

Hi tlbroadbent,
Thanks for the help. We are using an application which integrate with SQL for data storage. Password has been changed (like you say, for security reasons), and after that the application fails and create lots of problem.

Are these problems known? Any ways to rectify these problems?

Thanks,
ching

You need to determine the nature of the problems and the remedies. Obviously, the root problem will be failure to login. The ramifications of that failure depend on your applications - lost transactions, failed processing, lost business - all could result from the inaccessibility of the data.

If the application fails to login due to the password change, the application must be modified. I suggest creating a new SQL login with database access and appropriate permissions for the applications in question. Terry

The reason why worry kills more people than work is that more people worry than work. - Robert Frost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back