Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sa log-in for GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clamdipkid

Instructor
Oct 30, 2012
US
Hi.

Experiencing an issue with the sa log-in for GP. the log-in and PW work fine to log in, but when we try and select/do any administrator functions we get another log-in PW screen and the sa PW doesn't work.

There has been no sa PW reset.

Sam issue for the DYNSA log-in

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

- Rick

The same password doesn't work, because it isn't the same password.

What GP is looking for is the System Password. This can be changed at Tools > Setup > System > System Password.

Thanks but no go

The issue is the system PW isn't being recognized after we log in as the system administrator. Worked fine for several months until today. Never got the additional system PW window/request before. what we think is the system PW isn't working.

I cannot change it becasue when I click on Tools>Setup>System>System Password the request for the PW pops up.

Its acting like the System Administrator (sa) has been defined as a regular user.

In my worried state it didn't occur to me that this could be a hacker/security issue.

MS gave the college the software and we've had issues with getting MS tech support in the past.

Again the system PW is working to log us in, but then we cannot actually function as the system administrator. We're wondering if we have a corrupt file or DB that we can fix by logging into the server (that we can do).

Just knowing what might be wrong could help.

Thanks
-Rick

Rick,

From what you're describing, it sounds like either someone has changed your GP system password or, since you say you were never asked for it before, someone simply set one up.

There are ways to find out what the password is and/or reset it, however, I would not feel comfortable posting those on an open forum for anyone to read. Nor would I feel comfortable giving that information to someone who I do not personally know should have that level of access. Nothing personal, but this is possibly how someone that was not supposed to changed it in the first place.

I would recommend contacting Microsoft GP Support so they can confirm you have authorization, then they should be able to help you with this relatively easily and quickly. Just tell them you need to reset your GP system password. And maybe talk to them about ways to prevent this from happening in the future. The GP system password should be different that the SA or the DYNSA password and should definitely be set up to prevent the issue you are having now as well as unauthorized access to system setup windows.

Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP 2005 - 2012
Use Crystal Reports and SSRS with GP:
blog:

If you can log in as 'sa', you have the keys to the kingdom. Remember who 'sa' is, 'sa' is the SQL administrator. Sa is managed using SQL, not GP. That's why you can't change sa's password in GP. Use the following SQL statement to remove the gp system password:

UPDATE DYNAMICS..SY02400 SET PASSWORD = 0x00202020202020202020202020202020

If you just want to know what the password is, you could also just create a custom report using Report Writer against the System Password table.

Enjoy!

slantsix

Kind regards,

Leslie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back