Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sa is prompted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic76

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2006
IL
I created a .adp database with a sql 2000 backend.
Whenever a user connects to the db, he is prompted with the sa username and a blank password. How do you disable that annoying and dangerous sa username?

Do you want to disable the sa account on the SQL Server or the popup box asking to authenticate?

You can't disable the sa account. However it should have a strong password that no one but the DBA knows.

Check in the access forums, they should be able to tell you how to prevent the popup.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

never let access connect as the sa user. Create a user for Access, give it only the permissions that will be needed and change all your connection strings to that user. Your conenction strings can include the password if you don't want people to have to log in. In this case, make the Accesss user an application user not a regular user.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

What probably happened was that when you were creating/testing the application, you used the SA account for the connection. Then you provided everyone with the application (maybe as a link or template). That had the login (not the password) cached. I've had this happen with Crystal Report templates I've created, which is why I use an application login/password as the final pre-production test.

Unless the password for the SA account is blank (and shame on you if it is), then there isn't any problem. The user will just have to enter their own login/password to access anything.

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back