Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SA and Crystal and those damn CSVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

paradia

Technical User
Jun 29, 2004
CA
Hi there.

I was talking with SA support and they weren't able to answer my question - Maybe you guys can!!!

I'm using SA 2004 Basic and Crystal Reports (8.5 I believe) that comes with it.

I'm attempting to create modified version of the Customer Statement Report that includes invoice line items in it. So rather than start from scratch I've started with the existing Customer Statement Report and attempted to customize it.

My first step was to run the Statement Report and then email myself an invoice (thereby creating the needed CSV tables). I then opened the Statement Report in Crystal Reporting and added Databases. I selected ODBC, then Simply Account Forms. At this point the following tables are available: INVITEM_CSV, INVCUST_CSV, CURRENCY_CSV, SETTINGS_CSV, STATCUST_CSV, STATTRAN_CSV and a couple others that I'm not using right now.

I added the two Invoice tables to the Statement Report. I then attempted to link the tables and create a new group based on the Invoice number. However I was having all sorts of trouble. Eventually while in the Visual Database Links I browsed some fields to see what was going on. And this is where I realized that I missing something big time.

I browsed the Invoice Number field for both the STATTRAN and INVCUST tables, expecting them to be the same... They aren't! The STATTRAN table is only populated with items from when I ran the Cust Statement Report and the Invoice table is only populated with the info from when I emailed an invoice. This is true even though I ran the Cust Statement Report AFTER I had added the Invoice CSV tables to it.

This suggests to me that I will never be able to use the CSV tables from the Invoice form in my modified Customer Statement. Is this true?!? Do I have to start from scratch and create everything myself? Can I use the CSV table that already existed in the Customer Statement, but add in the core SA tables to get the rest of the information?

Thanks for listening! I hope that someone here can help me out! After not being able find a single text book in my city, a useful Forum online or someone in SA tech support who can help me... you guys are my last resort!

If anyone can help me out... I would really appreciate it. If not... I understand.

Pretty vague, try posting the types of links and example data and expected output

You should find using MS Access a simpler way to explore the data (import or link in the files), and you can even create a Query in there as the data source for the Crystal Report.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back