Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

S8700 - should these servers be restarted routinely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColinW

IS-IT--Management
Sep 16, 2002
AU
Given that the operating system is Linux, should S8700 servers be routinely restarted to clear logs and files etc?
Do Ayaya recommend this action?

I've never routinely rebooted servers and I've never experienced any issues that were put down to the servers not having been rebooted recently so personally I wouldn't do it

Yes it should be. I've been doing maintenance for a certain vendor supporting avaya products for almost 4 years and it is really recommended once in awhile. Why? its because to see if this server has a real problem.

If it comes backup after you reboot then it is stable, but if its not, obviously it has a problem. Pattern some questions why did it happen? What did u do? How did u do it? Do u have any previous failure activities? (Something like of these questions)

If you will do this: DON"T forget to backup via FTP.

I have been for the same reasons that you ask. We have the Map 5 Intuity and I have to reboot it to keep the alarms out of it. I have been doing a, busy out, shut down on the standby and then reboot it. Wait until the handshake and duplication is back up and normal then interchange the servers. When all is well then doing the same procedures to the other server.

If you do find any documentation stating they should be rebooted periodically, please post.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

mikeydidit

can i ask what servers and release your on please?

We run a few 24/7 call centres around Europe and only one site running 1.3 on a 8700 needs this reboot once a year to resolve a duplication issue. None of the others on 3.1 8710/20's need this.
Inuity LX 1.1 needs a reboot every 90 days.

lever

I have the S8710's running 3.0 loads.

Thomas A. Edison

it lokks like we mixed up a few systems here, some are talking about S servers, some intuity's, we all know intuity's need a kick in the ass every quarter, but it seems odd that my 8710 needs to be rebooted as well.

captainnick666

What happens if you don't reboot. Do you see any alarms on the servers?

lever

I have a call into a friend in Denver to clear this up for us. I will also add whatever the reply is from her to the new FAQ on the servers.

And as for your question Lever, no I don't get alarms. I simply do it as part of my maintenance routine for the system. If they come back and tell me they do not need to be rebooted every once in a while, that would be the first system running Linux that have heard that didn't need to be.

Thomas A. Edison

thanks Mikey

lever - the only alarm i would see is the uptime cmg alarm, but i have never lost service like the unix in the intuity's do.

From talking with Tier 3 at Avaya, this is not something that needs to be done. This opinion is even from some of the people in Denver who helped the original designers, so I guess we can take it that it doesn’t need to be done.

Thomas A. Edison

I second the post on duplication errors after a year or so on S8700 running 2.1. Duplication/shadowing would start to intermittently fail. We would wait for a period of up/up, then reboot the standby, interchage, reboot the other, then no more duplication errors for another 15 months or so.

-CL

The friend I talked with at Avaya says that something like this is a problem. The software is not designed (like Intuity) to be rebooted and this only clears the log/alarms out.

But being a realist, i too will do whatever it takes to keep my stuff running clean. If it takes a reboot every so often i will. To me, it sounds like some sort of bug in the load of software.

Thomas A. Edison

I just had an issue with the handshake for the inads modem on my S8710's. Avaya said my server hasn't been rebooted in 270+ days and needs to be done. They said it isn't documented anywhere that they need to be done at a certain interval but this will clear the issue.

I rebooted the standby, interchanged, rebooted the other and the problem cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back