Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

S8300/G700 Can't telnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbx1960

MIS
Jul 26, 2006
AE
Just installed a new S8300/G700, at first it came up, but when I tried to add a station, it told me I had to "Configure the Carrier/Cabinet" first. Tried everything, finally gave up and went to the wizard and tried to rebuild, halfway through it errored out, and now I can't reconnect using the default IP connection through the services port, any ideas?

Well did you add the media gateway in Communications manager? It's not quite as simple as loading the CD, configuring IP's and then adding stations....

I'd power down the system and start over (you're probably in license error mode since CM can't read the serial number from the golden G700).

Oh yeah, did all that. Installed Linux, installed CM, built the Media Gateway, at first, it wouldn't register, so I went back through the wizard and rebuilt it, then, when I went into Terminal emulation, and tried to change the Media Gateway 1, it didn't exist, it had built media gateway 2, and showed as registered. Then I exited, and tried to repopulate again, I was almost completely through setup, when the wizard crashed, and now, I can't telnet, or use the wizard through the browser. It won't connect. I also powered down, and tried again, same result, I can't even get in, that's why I figure I need to telnet in, but the documentation is sketchy on how to do this.

Can you connect to the G700 with a serial cable?

I finally managed to get back in. I ran the wizard again, made it through, and still have the same problem, it shows thr media server as registered, but when I try to add stations, it tells me I have to administer the cabinet, I am truly mystified. I feel like wiping the darn thing out, and reloading linux and cm, but am afraid I will have a bigger problem as I am not sure how the licence manager is handled, I don't even see a licence in my software.

If you have a resource that can wipe the hard disk on the 8300, you can boot it with the USB cd rom drive connected with the current software load and the machine will reloac the software. at this point you can start over.

Are you a business partner? Sounds like you're kind of wading into Murky water here...

Anyway provided you have the license and password files, I would remove the gateway from the switch translations (remove media 2). Then reload the S8300 by booting from the CD.

Once CM is loaded, run the installation wizard (DON'T DO ANY CM TRANSLATIONS WITH THE WIZARD). When complete, launch the maintenance web interface and run "config server" just hitting next through all the prompts until the config is written.

Then go into communication manager and add media 1 (I'm assuming you do not have another gateway) and enter the informaiton requested (you'll need the MG Serial #).

You should then be able to run a list config and see the hardware from the media gateway...

Thank you everyone for all the good advice. What I discovered, was that this switch had a previous configuration on it, when it arrived here, even though it was supposed to be new. I think it may have been used for some training or demo after I left the class, as all we did was load Linux and the CM. I essentially spent the whole day playing detective, and tearing down all translations, as the Media Gateway, and MM's cannot be removed as long as certain translations exist. Once I did that, and went back and removed the gateway, and re-added it as gateway 1, all was well, I didn't do any translations, I will save that for tomorrow, and hopefully that will go smoothly. Before I start though, any suggestions for setting this up for international calling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back