Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

S4000 wont boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

turrameter

Technical User
Oct 26, 2005
US
We have a Sniffer PC S4000 ET02.

We have only recently moved into this new DC and noticed this box rebooting due to 'bug check’ entry in the log with a dump. It even got hangs with a blue screen msg “IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL'. It had been running OK for some time on this original WinNT version at our old DC.

It was suggested we upgrade the software so I applied the s4000 vanilla Restore CD's to Upgrade to v4.6 XP SP2 (after BIOS Upgrade). It came UP and rebooted itself straight away (after the couple of expected reboots required in the upgrade process), then Hung on blank screen. It does this continuously. Sometimes it comes up with a blue screen with the same IRQ error and other times its just a blank multicolour screen, but the PC is dead and has to be power cycled to get it restarted.

This PC is usually kept in our data centre. I brought it upstairs to our lab and it worked OK. It stayed up for more than 7 days in a row. Took it back down to the DC and it goes through the same reboots. Brought it back upstairs and it worked OK again. Checked the chips seated OK. All other cables/plugs look OK. Took it back downstairs to DC again, put in 'another' Rack, it came up eventually after a long pause in a pre-boot state where the Red HDD light is ON and Green Pwr light OFF permanently, and the Green CD light is on permanently (I think this is like a BIOS HW check mode - but there is nothing on the screen at all). It seemd OK once it did come up (well it stayed up for 15mins), so I shut it down and moved it back to its usual rack and it has now stayed in this 'pre-boot' state for past 2 hours.

I have tried re-applying the upgrade Vanilla restore, even trying previous versions (v4.5 XP, v4.6 XP, v4.6 Xp SP2) with similar results.

The only difference from what I can tell is the room temp. Lab is about 26c and DC is about 16c. But then it did come up (eventually) in another rack in the DC. Maybe it is getting some sort of electrical interference from some cables. I tried the rack next to this one as well and get the same result. Maybe the circuit boards do not like the colder climate, maybe it did work in the DC 'other' rack as it was still warm from the lab.

Any idea what may be the problem? Why is it so fussy about where it sits?

I had a problem with bad image cds...got new ones from network general and the box worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back